Manamon and Manamon 2 move diversity: my thoughts

hello everyone.
I have been seeing a lot of discussion about manamon move diversity and how it should be improved.
Jayde was actually the one that inspired me to create this topic. For the record, I agree that many manamon are suffering from a lack of moves of a different type than the type of the manamon.
However, I do have one question that I have been thinking about lately in regards to move typing.
In my last manamon 2 game that I played, I ran across a random person who told me that moves which are not of the same type as the manamon will actually do less damage than if the manamon had the same type of a move. For example, leonatar gets the move slash, and charge of fury later. Because these are standard type moves, and leonatar is standard type, the damage will be better than if a non=standard type used these moves.
My question is, how much better will they be? How worth it would getting moves that are not of a manamon's type be if they won't do as much damage? I'm not saying it is or isn't worth it, I guess i'm just trying to figure this out. NOw where grandlan is concerned, its move diversity is off the charts, far better than any manamon, but it also has grandlan clay that you can get for it later, as well as an ability that boosts damage of non-earth or non=magic types, so this wouldn't matter as much. What do you all think? Jayde, i'm particularly curious about your opinion. You have very valuable insight where manamon is concerned, much of which I agree with.