Re: sable, what do you want to see

@16 that's not what the guys from Sable said though when asked about scripting. Scripting was a *very* popular feature request in the original topic, but it was always rebuffed, and very clearly so. They didn't say "yeah, we can't get this done right now but we'll look into it", or even "we can't finish something like that in time for the first release but will add it in a future release". Nope, they always said "no, we will not add any scripting functionality", because they thought it would make things too complicated. For anyone that's played around with tactical battle when it was at its prime, they'll know it most certainly wasn't. On top of that, tb didn't have any menu driven interfaces or thousands of yes/no prompts like Sable did, but you could still quickly make maps and campaigns by creating simple txt files and no coding knowledge. All you had to know was the proper syntax to type things in. Some experience with simple code helped of course, but definitely wasn't required. The point is though, even if you had zero idea how its scripting engine worked, you could still make campaigns. The presence of a scripting language in tb alone didn't make things too complicated for people.
Now as for the pokemon stuff, It's not impossible. It would, however, probably require a special mode or expansion to be added. A pokemon module is a great example of a script-based project the more coding-oriented community could work on, and the finished module could be easily installed and added in by any sable creator, again, with no coding knowledge. As it stands now, the devs will just have to add the following themselves I guess:
*A way to get rid of certain party members at a decided location and retrieve them later.
*Functionality to cap the amount of abilities a party member could have to 5, with the options to go to a trainer and switch out your abilities for others in the party member's class. A separate class would have to be created for every pokemon.
*A way to limit party size to 6 members.
That's the very basics down, here come the headaches.
*An item flag you can assign that makes it so you can use the item on enemies, with a random chance that the enemy will switch sides to your party permanently.
*A thing that lets party members change into new and improved party members by leveling up, having an item used on them, etc.
*A way for creators to create a new game section, let's just call it a lore section for now. For classic rpgs, it would allow the creator to put information about items, monsters, the world, etc. Into their game. For the pokemon creators though, they could have a menu of their very own, called... the pokedex!
There's probably lots of shit I haven't thought of, but with what you have now, plus what I've said you need, you could at least recreate the gen1 games.