Re: Shades of Doom Version 2.0 Public Beta Released

@Bryan, I agree on that, it was shades of doom that actually  convinced me audiogames were worth playing and not just something  simple made for the poor denuded  blindies.

As to new versions and money Keba, I for one never said the new version shouldn't happen and david shouldnt' charge, only that I was disappointed with the lack of upgrades as  compared to 1.2. If you've not played the previous version, that doesn't change the fact that shades is  itself a completely awsome game, a fact that nothing can change.  It's an absolute classic everyone who's a fan of audiogames should play at some point, indeed it's Shades very cult status that is likely the reason for the negativity and the hopes for more of it from gamers who already know the original game backwards.

@Welshweyer, in terms of monsters, I wouldn't disagree that the current challenge of the game isn't fine, however I do think a great er variety in monsters   would break things up a little more. For example,  instead of gun wielding mutants as the primary ranged attackers,  how about acid spitting lizards? creatures firing poinoned spines? How about a  giant scorpian style enemy  with weak armour but a medium ranged sting attack. How about some creatures with attacks to slow or effect the player, like say a    mutant plant with grasping tendrils that held the player still while other nasties homed in? How about some floor hazards like pools of acid or molten metal that damaged the player, or some slippery floor tiles that  altered the player's movement speed.

All of these would be possible judging by what we've seen in Sarah, and would create more variety and tactics required in the game by changing the situation, also meaning that the player was more frequently presented with new enemies rather than the same old ones, albeit in more challenging positio ns.

@keba, regarding the music, while I agree some more music might have been nice, especially different music for different stages of the game, at the same time I don't like the idea of high action, rock type stuff. Part of what always attracted me to shades  was the horror atmosphere. The fact that the first few times you play the game you don't know when something nasty is going to creep up on you, emphasised by the gorey death  sounds, and the survival horror  theme of the game.

While I'd personally like more music, I'd much prefer it to stay within this survival horror theme and not turn the game into a  monster slaughter action fest, sinse after all we have other games for that.

The original shades music was quite okay for this imho, however after a while it does become more  monotonous than creepy.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : assault_freak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : welshweyr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keba via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : welshweyr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : dd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : welshweyr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : burak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector