Re: depressed from blindness again

A lot of that is, in my opinion, much simpler: the brain craves stimulation.  If it doesn't get stimulation, it goes looking for it.  If you can't see, you never culturally learn rocking or fingernail picking or eye pressing or etc are things that everyone else isn't doing and that people think you're odd, unless someone helps you with it.

But to be honest, I don't understand why someone would sit at home and think about their blindness all the time.  Yeah, it sucks.  But even if we say "and now you're in an undeveloped country without electricity", you could learn to milk cows or whatever, I'm reasonably sure I could cook over an open fire with practice.  My brother does carpentry with table saws and stuff unsupervised.  Lots of sighted people choose to read for fun because they like reading.  You could volunteer to work with animals (one of these days I'm going to have the time to figure out where I can volunteer with dogs or horses).  You could learn to do pottery, or to bake, and start a small home business.  You could ride the blindness stereotype and learn the guitar and go find music people to hang out with.  You could go to wine tastings.  You could learn to make cheese.  I could probably think of a bunch of others, this is just the list of things I either have done or want to do at some point, or what other people I know have done.

yeah, your parents could put you down all the time, and that sucks, and even kind of counts as child abuse in my opinion.  Obviously Covid makes doing any of this harder.  In general blindness sucks and I find it depressing.  But I don't understand why people think "O I'm blind, there's nothing to do".  There's lots of stuff you could do.  This "I'm retired, now I'm bored" thing also only exists in books, it's mostly not a real thing, either.