Re: How can I get input using SDL without this strange edit box popping up

I think broadly speaking, you'll end up wanting to handle it yourself anyway.  But you're right that this is lame.  it's one of the reasons I was hoping to find a Rust library that does native GUI one of these days and is why I'm considering using something with WX instead.  Seemingly you can get a good library for game stuff or a good library for UI accessibility but never, ever both.

If you're in Python you might look into popping open a wx textbox.  If you're in C/C++ you might look into making a little library that pops open a  textbox and blocks the thread. The latter is on my list plus a C binding.

Not sure specifically about on-screen keyboards. I thought that only opened if your device had a touchscreen, in general, so if it does you might be getting that and can confirm it by actually touching the screen (NVDA supports what is basically explore by touch).