Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

This is where I differ from conservatives and religious people. I'm not against abortion. One thing that I've always wondered is if you spend your entire life living for Christ, then how is it that you believe that the death of a fetus is the death of the spirit. If God exists, wouldn't he then put that spirit into another body at the right time?

These aren't my beliefs. I've always had a healthy disdain for organized religion. I don't want religion in policy. Keep your God to yourself and we'll be fine. Don't shove it down my throat and I won't shove my atheism down yours.

Actually, that's one area where I generally disagree with some atheists. They tend to have a condescending view towards anyone who believes in God, and feel that it's their duty to try to point out every contradiction in the bible to them.

OK, I want that information, and I'm glad that someone is gathering it, but faith and spiritualism aren't logical. You can't just throw facts in their face and expect them to change.

I've always felt that religion and the belief in a higher power over us is old code that hasn't purged itself from our genome. Some people are susceptible to it while others are not. But when I am with my family, I am not trying to convert them away from their beliefs. When we sit down to dinner, I will bow my head with them and observe a moment of silence. I don't pray, as is my right, but I am respectful enough to not ruin their moment. I don't think that's too much to ask of atheists.

Now, as to the debate where life begins, we really don't know. I mean, is it really life when the fusion takes place between the two gametes and now we have a zygote? In a sense, yes. But does that thing know that it's alive? Is it sentient? I think not. As I can't tell you when life begins, I'm not qualified to say when it doesn't either. What I can say is that if religious people believe in the soul, and in the spirit, then surely that spirit will be placed into another body when it is appropriate.