Re: Cat owners, help please?

OK, so please take this as a question from someone who knows bugger all about cats, and only has one because the little tike came into our garden one day and now comes on the regular (I fell in love by the way, my wife is ecstatic because she always wanted a cat, we now add cat food to our shopping list, you get the idea):

Why not just train them to go outside? I mean Socks (our little visitor) came from outside, she's never done anything in the house, so I assume she's doing everything outside, and we don't have, nor do we want a litter tray. Everyone seems happy with the arrangement, so I don't understand why others would voluntarily have a litter tray in the house with all associated smells ETC, when your cat's probably pretty chuffed with the great outdoors anyways?

As an aside, we bought a pack of 3 bell collars off Amazon. Socks doesn't mind wearing it, we know where she is so don't tread on her, and she can't bring dead things back to haunt the house. Very much recommend.