Re: enough is enough, and it's time for a change.

It is generally safe to assume that a game which is copying assets from a game by a big sighted publisher didn't have permission.  They don't give permission.  They never really have.  They're certainly not going to start with giving permission to audiogameds.net people.

The world changed.  People care about piracy more than they did.  We won't get taken down until and unless we get labeled a piracy site, but if we fail to comply with DMCA takedowns it is possible for the domain name and the server to be seized.

What everyone forgets about the really old games is that back in the 90s and early 2000s people kind of just didn't care about piracy.  The culture used to very much be games by and for nerds.  There wasn't even really a legal framework for it.  Almost uniquely among human invention, the internet and computers in general were able to outpace the legal system by a *huge* amount.  I wasn't old enough to be involved in that culture, but I could very well see the creators of doom going "cool, there's a version for blind people" and not caring if assets were used (though assets being used is news to me, and in general for something with as minimal a sound design as that thing has, it's trivially easy to end up sounding similar).  But now it's multi-billion dollar corporations with massive legal teams defending their multi-billion dollar assets.

My point being it's not audiogames.net to blame for old games that are known to have pirated assets.  The assets shouldn't have been pirated in the first place even back then, but that's not our fault, the chances of those developers being able to say "yeah I got permission" is basically nil even if they were around.  Aim your frustrations at your congressman, the problem here is that copyright and trademark law are way too strict.  In my opinion "I borrowed some sounds and made a version for blind people" should be fair use, or at least the kind of thing where there should be some sort of leniency because it's not profitable and not something that the original publisher would want to do.  Maybe give them an option to take over the project or something, I dunno.  But my point is that in the broader context of older games not having authors around and this kind of sucking for them, it's not audiogames.net to blame for really unforgiving laws.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : superb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : je97 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector