Re: Help decide what will be in Synthizer 1.0

@23
Let me rephrase my question.  What use cases justify microphone support in 1.0, that aren't already covered by another library?  You're proposing an API, which isn't what I really need here.  To put things in 1.0, what I need to understand is why whatever it is can't be postponed and what I can do that's not better than what someone else has done.  In this case, Miniaudio has the API you're proposing, and in general connecting the microphone directly to the speakers isn't useful without a bunch of other stuff, so I'm not seeing the justification required to move it from "this would be nice one day" to "this must be done now, with my limited time".

Synthizer doesn't currently expose effects in a way that lets you put samples into one end and get samples out the other, in a way that would let you do something like implement a voice changer and then feed it to the network.  I'm not adverse to eventually exposing the internals in that way, but it's definitely not 1.0 because I'm not ready to force myself into stabilizing the internals as well as the public API.

GRPC isn't sufficient for voice chat networking.  That's a very complicated topic which you might want to look into more.  Everyone (including myself) goes through the "but we can just connect the microphone over TCP" and it doesn't work.  I actually want to write a solution for this, but it's low priority and I haven't evaluated if we have any good open source ones that expose a C API.  The very short version is that you have to use a UDP-based protocol and a codec that can tolerate lost packets, and you also probably want NAT hole-punching.  I believe Google's WebRTC implementation has everything you need in it, and yes it is available from C++ for desktop apps, but you'll have to deal with a lot of complexity to understand it, most of which is exposed to you because voice chat is complicated and not because it's a bad API.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : x0 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : x0 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : x0 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bhanuponguru via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : zywek via Audiogames-reflector