Re: 7 Major Android Features Copied by Apple in iOS 8

I'm with Dark; consolidation is key here.  What is the point of having more than one device to accomplish the same thing for the most part.  The reality is that tablets have not been as widely accepted as companies primarily hoped they would be, but the idea of larger screens is an easy one to gauge by the overall response generated by the countless models of smartphones that have grown over the past couple of years.  many tablets are sitting around forgotten for the most part, only coming out when there is an application not properly supported on the preferred smart phone as has been the case with the iPhone iPad discussion.  Beyond that they simply collect dust and add yet another price tag to look at and consider for amusement's sake.  If we can consolidate devices and wrap them into one, perhaps two as opposed to 3 or 4 by simply increasing the size of the screen and maybe even space capacity, the need to produce massive numbers of multiple k inds of devices is eliminated.

Perhaps this was Microsoft's original idea with windows 8 and its desire to win back the smartphone and tablet users they felt they had lost; I wouldn't truly know.  What I do know is that it makes sense from many standpoints and that I give them credit for trying even though they seriously failed, since as far as I can tell they never really lost anyone who had misgivings about the differences between every day PC verses smartphone usage, resulting in a redesign that didn't truly suit the windows power users.  I didn't buy into the smartphone hype because I truly felt I needed a smartphone, as most of my every day needs are still taken care of by a desktop computer.  Laptops are a risky business with me, since ultimately charging and recharging batteries reduces how effectively they work, though I do keep one around for special occasions, mainly live musical performances and the like.  I bought a sma rtphone because I knew that in all reality it would probably be the fastest and easiest thing to use on top of providing me with a box of tools and concepts that might later become essentials in a world where technology grows every hour of every day.  It made no sense not to get at the very least acquainted with the touchscreen world since most devices seem to be heading in that direction, which is why even on my laptop I will experiment from time to time with the touch functionality provided by NVDA.  I can't say I find it very useful, though I can see where a sighted person might.

I've said it once and I'll probably say it again many more times as long as I deal with the blind community; the longer you hold back and don't jump into the waters as it were, the less time you really have to familiarize yourself with the concepts before they evolve into something else that'll leave you far behind the rest of the crowd.  The reason win dows 7 wasn't a probem for me as it was for many XP users is that Vista, as dreaded an operating system as it might have been, provided the practice I required to get up to speed on 7 early on.  Windows 8 was certainly a bit of a surprise, though no less difficult than learning new concepts as was the case with the transition from XP to Vista.  The same holds true with smartphones and the like; perhaps they'll grow, and perhaps they'll change shape.  Our job as peple who are blind and visually impaired is to adapt to those changes and learn how to use them to our advantage, as Dark has pointed out in post 22 by showing that larger screens mean we can probably reach more icons with voice over rather than continuously performing tedious flicking gestures.  Tech will continue to evolve with or without our permission because that is the nature of tech, and we must continue to keep up with it.