Re: A born blindman's rant on gaming in front of sighted people

Yet another one in the common courtesy crowd; oh no!

Playing your audio game alone is not socializing anyhow, regardless of where you do it. It would count as socializing if others were paying attention to what you were doing -- if you were showing the game to them, for example -- but if they're just doing their own thing, then you might as well be in your room. It's like that cold peace between married people that talk while the other is around, sure, but don't talk *to each other*.

The fact that it doesn't bother you does not mean that it shouldn't bother them. It often feels like our opinion is the right one, the majority, but actually, oftentimes it isn't. As you can see by now, this is the case in this situation. Most of us find people who are more loud than they need to be annoying, and so seek to not become such people ourselves. This is no double standard towards sighted people; if I had a blind roommate, as I likely will at some point, I would also put headphones on while in the same room as them, and be thankful if they do likewise.

You have a *lot* of options when it comes to headphones and earbuds. From the fancy noise canceling ones to the light ones that bring good quality while also allowing you to hear the world around you quite well. Some are uncomfortable, but most, especially if you are willing to pay a reasonable price, are so pleasant you'll forget you're wearing them.
And besides, they're just so, so much better for gaming. The sound is cleaner, you can hear more details, you can react faster because you have a better idea of where stuff is to you directionally, etc. And this is even more true for music; it just sounds so much better with good headphones. So ... what do you have against them, exactly? Don't you think you are being needlessly stubborn and refusing something that would actually help you out?

Because noise while working in the kitchen is unavoidable. TVs, as others have mentioned, are meant to be watched by multiple people, and often don't even have headphone jacks (and when they do, that still makes things awkward, because of how short cables tend to be). You meanwhile are playing these games for yourself, and your only argument for not wearing headphones is "I don't wanna!" How about you just refuse to be constantly downstairs with them, then? You are old enough to refuse, not that kids don't have a right to private time. Hell, I stay in my room when I want to do stuff on my own anyway, even though I always wear headphones.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Boo15mario via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : TheTrueSwampGamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : TheBlindSaiyan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ManFromTheDark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : TheBlindSaiyan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mayana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : matt1211 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : TheBlindSaiyan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector