Re: Fara, a new browser or downloadable roguelike

so a few things:
The game originally announced when you were approaching area exits, but none of us on the discord liked it.  It was extremely spammy and slowed everything down.
what I've done is map the /listexits command to E so whenever I walk around I can quickly hit E to hear what exits I'm near.
Also, finding the lost child is easy.  just /shout follow me as you wander around the area.  If the child hears you, it will join you.
when traveling over the worldmap, use S (that's shift s) to enter stealth mode.  it dramatically reduces the odds of encountering monsters while traveling, at the cost of navigation taking more ingame time and movement costing more stamina.
On that note, leaving an area through the /leave command fully refills your stamina bar if you're not interrupted.  this is because the leave command takes up about an hour of ingame time.  So if you're traveling around the world stealthed, you can e to enter then /leave if you are in what appears to be a safe area.  You may be wrong sometimes, so try to enter an area immediately after your stamina shows as winded.
If there are evil creatures threatening you, manually walk to an exit and head that way.
This is where jumping is invaluable.
if you hit space or type /jump, you will be given a little targetting cursor that you use to position where you want to end up.  You can typically only jump about 2 tiles, but it works as a dodge as well as movement, though keep in mind it will cost a good chunk of stamina.
try only using that when something is already on top of you or if some baddy is shooting stones at you.
When fleeing, try to pick a direction where you know there is a non-aggressive critter.  Most animals won't attack you, so if you can head in the direction of one, great, as they will distract your attacker long enough for you to escape.
the jumping cursor is moved with the arrow keys, and you'll receive spoken feedback about what is on each tile you target.

Regarding wood... wood is very easy to obtain, and there are multiple ways of doing so.
the majority of objects can be salvaged with the /salvage command.  You'll learn the recipe to make them and there's also a pretty high chance you'll obtain parts that can be used for your own crafting projects.  Keep in mind though that if a commoner sees you, your relationship with them will drop, so enter stealth mode before salvaging their furniture... or their door.
to acquire a lot of wood from trees, harvest them twice to get them nearly destroyed, then attack them with an axe.  wooden axes are really easy to craft.  You only need 6 wooden blocks to build your workbench and the axe combined, and after you build your first workbench, your dowel is 1 wood (and you get two,) and the axe itself is another.
The tree should drop a bunch of logs (or at least more than the 1 log you'd get from just harvesting the tree) which you can then turn into wooden blocks or planks for future crafting projects.
I suggest you establish a home somewhere, whether that's setting a local waypoint in a house in Relica and claiming it for yourself or building one elsewhere so you have a place to store all your resources.  Building one elsewhere is nice because you can then plant things in or around it for more resources in a few days.
On that note, always eat cooked meals whenever possible.  Toss some fruits or fresh meat into a campfire or fire pit and use the /cook command.  Those meals provide a bit of healing, boost up your stamina and boost up your stats a bit.
As has previously been stated, mercs are very useful and I highly recommend getting some, as even if yours isn't particularly powerful, it will still act as a distraction while you escape whatever you're fighting.
Okay, I think that's all the advice I can think of.
Let me know if you have more issues or questions!