Re: I need to rant at you about your behavior in mainstream communities

The thing is how do you define mainstream?  And it's not just audiogamers.  Go on Twitter sometime, find some blindness accounts, watch the fireworks.  When I don't avoid blindness circles, I approach them with a certain mindset, and in so far as I came back to audiogames.net it's because I'm now super thick-skinned and drama is just whatever, as long as it's not drama with my close friends.  I've got a good number of personal stories about people who weren't able to adjust and/or have zero social skills, and blind people are always just...blind I guess.  There's a hard to describe quality to it that's not like anything else I've ever seen.

Blind people are undersocialized, and that does contribute.  Also, I don't have the reference but there's at least one paper/researcher who did look into blindness and autism links.  My conclusion on it is that diagnosing a blind person with autism is really hard, but that born-blind people might very well be.  I think i might be a little bit, but we'll probably never know.  If you go down the common symptoms: self-stimming? Yes.  not able to read social queues? yes.  Eye contact issues? Totally.  It makes figuring out how much of it is blindness or not really interesting.  I've got an autistic friend and the day we met we spent like 2 hours going back and forth on socializing issues and stuff going "yeah, me too!" which was a really weird experience.  I can say that I explicitly simulate/reason about other people in order to figure out what they're communicating that I don't know because blindness, and because you don't always get emotions etc. in the voice tone, which again: is it blindness or autism? Who knows.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sightlessHorseman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sightlessHorseman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : heidicruiz via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Zarvox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : heidicruiz via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : aaron77 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector