History of AudioGames.net, from the first posts from each room

This post is dedicated to those forumites (as I've heard us called) who stuck around for the long haul, through all the drama and the bullshit, and those who are new to this interesting, yet sometimes enfuriating social space.
The first posts from each room have been reproduced here, as a reminder of where we've been and where we'll end up.
In the first post of General Game Discussion, assault_freak asked:

Hey all,
Does anyone know what to do after the boss?
Thanks

In the first post of the New Releases Room, bcs993 announced:

Hey guys.
For those of you who don't see the sound rts google group, just to let you know that sound rts 1.1 alfa 9 has been released.
You can find it at:
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts
I've copied the change log, for everyone's convenience:
The main changes since 1.1 alpha 8 are:
General:
- bug fixed: the shortest path implementation could cause synchronization errors in multiplayer games
- added a limit for teleportation: no more than 144 ground entities (units, buildings, goldmines, woods...) and 144 air entities at the destination
- the computer AI will retaliate for catapults too
- if a turn takes more than 3 seconds, the events won't be played until the end of the turn (to increase speed)
Rules:
- now building a temple only requires a keep instead of a castle
- researching super healer, conversion and resurrection now requires a castle
Translations:
- updated Chinese messages and actor voices (including tts.txt for SAPI and screen reader support)
- added a line to tts.txt specifying character encoding (default is "latin_1")
TTS mode:
- added a positional beep sound to positional messages in SAPI/screen reader/TTS mode (when pressing Tab for example)
Linux:
- added a "-s" or "--speechd" option to enable speech dispatcher for Linux
- setting "sapi=1" in the configuration file doesn't enable speech dispatcher any more
- bug fixed: when Speech Dispatcher for Python was present, SoundRTS wouldn't close
Modding:
- bug fixed: only damage_bonus and armor_bonus could be used with apply_bonus
- bug fixed: a bonus on hp_max didn't affect the starting hp of new units (existing units keep their current hp though)
Enjoy!
Brendan

In the first post of the developer's room, Dan_Gero asked:

Hello! i don't know if this is in the right thread, tell me if it's not. But, where can I find pithon? Do you need to download it?

In the first post of the Off Topic Room, long departed user Mike asked:

Hi,
I was wondering how I could use TCP in VB to make programs that connect to the internet? I have this example program that uses it but they use the Winsock library, and I can't figure out how. They were able to put a Winsock control on the form, which has properties like local port, remote host, etc. Any ideas?

In the first news article, site administrator Sendermen notes:

Yesterday there has been a large fire at the Accessibility Foundation. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but at this moment it is unsure whether the release of the Audio Game Maker will be in time...we keep you up to date!
[photo at http://www.rtvutrecht.nl/nieuws/142219]
To reassure you, we have backups of the AGM, but we need some more time to install computers, buy software and get our stuff back together.

In his first of many articles, Dark reproduced the Time Adventures Clue Book, which I haven't reproduced here to conserve space.
In the first post of the Site and Forum Feedback room, Phil Vlasak replaced an  out of date link with another out of date link:

New link for Freedom Millionaire, an accessible version
of the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game
http://www.themillionweb.net

Lastly, in the first post of the Exclusive Games room, site administrator Richard notes:

The Sudo-San website... ... is already up so you can have a sneak peek if you
want. Sudo-San is not yet available but will soon be. You can visit the page
through the PlayCenter website (which is already up although we are making a
few last minute changes) - follow the link in the main menu over at
AudioGames.net.

I haven't been on the forum as long as a lot of you, but for some reason I feel very nostalgic.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : zenothrax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : zenothrax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : star fire via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Phoenix009 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : star fire via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : soren via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : zenothrax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector