Re: anyone ever attempted to learn swedish?

Yeah, would be quite interesting!
Reminds me a story a Norwegian guy told me: His schoolmate was from Trondheim and there was some kind of sport event going on and a part of it was long distance running. After this guy had finished, he stood for a while gasping and finally said: "Jeg er klar!"
In standard Norwegian and Danish klar should mean ready, but in Trondheim dialect it means tired.
The same guy told me, that "du er rar" means "you are good looking" in Swedish and if I remember correctly, in Danish as well. Although in Swedish I guess it is spelled differently. But in norwegian it means "you are weird". So if a norwegian says it to a Swede or Dane, both of them are happy. LOL

There should be  a list of this kind of  words comparing Danish and Norwegian somewhere in the wikipedia. As an Estonian, who's native language is similar to Finnish, I really like these  kind of words, which sound similar in similar languages, but have completely different meaning. Linguists call them "false friends".