Re: LLVM discussion

Well, actually, there's two questions going on here.  I have covered the second one, but I'll repeat it one more time.
Writing a compiler? You don't have the experience for doing that quickly.  None of us really do.
But two points:
First, there is no functional advantage to actually putting the script into an executable.  The user will barely notice.  It is still just as easily hackable.  Putting the script outside the executable as a file and distributing as a zip that you extract is 100% okay, and you're going to have to do that anyway.  The user will want to distribute sounds, after all.
Second, you can do so easily by requiring the end user to install a C compiler.  Write the executable to run the script from a base64-encoded string literal, but intentionally leave out that literal.  When packing the program, package the scripts into the base64 string by inserting the base64-encoded representation of the file at the appropriate place in the source file.  I believe I said something like this before.  Problem solved, no framework required, the end.  Given the amount of effort needed to modify an already-compiled executable, it's not worth doing so for those users who can't bear to distribute the bytecode as a file--i.e. none.
But if you're dead set on this, pull out Google and find something.  I'm sure someone has written a library to modify a compiled executable.  But we can't help you.  None of us have done it to my knowledge; I don't think any of us would.  The gains are truly and simply not worth it.  But you can, if you want, and I certainly can't stop you.  Just use a cheap trick and stop there.  I promise no one will notice except for you.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : stewie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Manu via Audiogames-reflector