Re: frameworks to develop audiogames

Ruby is something I could never figure out how to distribute.  Perl is something that everyone I know universally hates; I personally gave up in disgust in about an hour and Python does all the same things.
The only big advantage of C# is that it is faster, but as I and others have pointed out before, there's no audiogame idea that would actually make you able to notice.  To reiterate, when you start listing your performance problems, I'll start telling you about how you're using an array and shouldn't be or pointing you at libraries that can replace the slow components.  A more minor advantage is size, but the sounds will dwarf everything anyway so it doesn't matter too much.  I don't tink anyone here cares about SQL or Linq, being as these are the domain of business applications.
C# does have a couple killer disadvantages for me.  The first and biggest is that there's no command line debugger.  There used to be, but it was axed.  It might be possible to use Cdb on it, but I've not played with this and it is certainly not simple.  Debugging consequently requires living inside VS; I have already shared my opinion on that.  Python is also slightly more cross-platform, but only slightly.  The other advantages I could list are ideological and have to do with dynamic vs. static typing as well as my personal bent towards functional programming (Python's support for such isn't near Haskell, but it's pretty darn good-list comprehensions, filter, and all that are nicely done.  It'd be more accurate to say that I prefer Python because of my tendency to use functions as first-class citizens, including assigning them to variables, but this is probably way beyond where we want to go).

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : felipevr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lex via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lex via Audiogames-reflector