Re: Learning iTunes.

Yes, exactly, I don't necessarily mean multiple iOS devices, I mean that the actual process of transferring is fundamentally easier when you only have to control one repository that is then automatically managed. I no longer have an iPad, in fact--just an iPod and iPhone now that the 6+ is chunky enough for my needs--but if you only have to manage one library, then syncing any device (over the network usually, by just having it turned on when iTunes is running) is a doddle compared to locating content and copying it to a card just for the one purpose of listening on one device, IMO, even if you don't use an SD card as an authority for any of the content which I don't. Hence, if I want to get the same seamlessness you're getting, it looks like I will have to stop caring about media playback on my Mac and iPhone, which likely won't happen unless I stop using iTunes, which I'm not quite prepared to do yet. But the Stream is a nice player so I'll not completely discard the idea. smile

I would get yourself an SD card reader rather than going through the interface on the player, which is rather slow in comparison--though nothing like as slow as most SD cards. Still, yes, it is a rather handy thing to be able to just access and share.

A keychain is your collection of passwords, EG web, email accounts, etc. No problem if you already know your passwords and can simply reenter them. As for contacts, make sure the switch is on in your iCloud settings and you should be set.

For podcasts, ironically I now find iTunes to be a very capable client, since some recent updates which mean that it remembers played episodes even when they are not on your machine. This means you can operate a podcast in either mode, as it were, the download-play-listen-toss mode or the download-archive mode. iTunes has the notion of "Saving" an d will then construct a folder structure with the episodes in it. However to get this on iOS you then become dependent on iTunes again. Still at least Apple are making the effort. Of course if the show has other fans or archive pages then you can just grab those, too.

You should be able to adjust TTS and audio playback parameters separately; just play the content, and make the change. It seems to be working for me. On the other hand, I am using Stream for playing ePub (which is really awesome actually compared to using iBooks) so this may have something to do with it. I'm not sure about subfolders and files, that sounds like a bug to me, since you can definitely descend into multiple subfolders, but you're right it's no biggie if you're only using the card for temporary storage. I now have lots of listening material to be getting on with without any need for further transfer for a while.

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying your iTunes-free existence, anyway. I have now to decide which device should come with me to the bedroom for night-time listening, since I still don't know what the battery life on this thing is really like and I need it to last during the daytime. Up until now that has been the iPod Touch, which I enjoy as far as possible, though usually as a remote control client for my iTunes library next door with all the stuff on it to the speakers there, or with headphones from my iTunes network library rather than its internal flash. This is awesome because I get access to everything, but it also knackers the battery pretty good.