Re: State of Web Browser Accessibility

Yeah, I remember when Electrolysis was first being discussed. I really hope they push this through.

I used JFW mostly for the usual screen-scraping suspects, and NVDA for the Windows OS. I haven't been using NVDA in a good while, though, so I have yet to see how it performs with everyday tasks rather than just the odd Windows app or Visual Studio, both which have been my focus recently. Right now, it's a very excellent screen reader for updating Windows and getting JAWS installed, but I'll see (as I migrate back to Windows) how far I can get with it. Office apps and "Flat" review are still JAWS' strengths as far as I can tell, but since I've had a taste of proper accessibility, I'll be interested to see how I get on with NVDA. No doubt I'll need JAWS in order to hack the few apps which need it, like QT apps, and games that do any kind of GDI directly, or some Delphi stuff like CheatEngine where there is a lot of heavy custom text widgetry. And I've heard that console windows are better now, so I'll check that out, as that's rather important. Skype is still a bitch, of course, and I'm migrating Pegasus to Thunderbird, so that'll work with NVDA. I do like Eloquence, it's true. And I've found the IE+JAWS combo to be more responsive than with Firefox; I guess that's the flip side. But I'll give Firefox a proper go and customise it to use less cycles. So we'll see how it goes.