Re: State of Web Browser Accessibility

Hello. This is an excellent topic. I will start with IE and Firefox. Please note I only used Firefox on Windows so can't speak to its accessibility on other platforms. I found it to be pretty accessible for the most part, although I couldn't get some of the functions to work. These include the plugins such as Firevox. So that part I think was inaccessible for me. Additionally, it seemed I had to restart this browser when done listening to an audio file. In addition, I don't think Firefox works with System Access. Internet Exploder was also pretty good in terms of accessibility, although I haven't used it for awhile so I don't know about the versions above 9.x . IE and Ff crashed on me almost all the time though. Now I will talk about Chrome and Safari. I'll start with Chrome. When I tried to use it with System Access in Windows, I couldn't get anything to work. However, it works pretty much flawlessly with both Chromevox and VoiceOver. Chromevox seemed to crash a lot though, so I removed it from my Mac. Now to Safari, which I use in addition to Chrome. Both work extremely well with VoiceOver. I really like the extra features that Apple implemented in Safari, such as the Reader. For those of you who have never tried this feature, it lets you view only the text on a web page. It doesn't work on all websites, but it's a great feature. I'm up to version 7.1 of Safari, and most of the time the command to go back a page doesn't work with VoiceOver. However, there is a work-around for this which I've found to be very good. That is, refreshing the page with Command-R if the "back" command won't work.