Re: Pirate bay copy come back following rade.

Hi all.
in the early days I did play in the dark arts who hasn't.
I still have a bit of questionable material
But that is a lot less than I used to have thanks to opensource and other freeware and low cost apps.
A lot of sites legal and otherwise use torrents because of their distribution medium
I have been both a pirate and hacker and a normal consumer so I understand both sides of the coin so to speak.
That said I have my reservations about the big corperations that handle just about everything under the sun.
I love them because they make the world work but I hate them because they are unpredictable and I have no idea where I actually stand as a consumer.
That was my main reason in the early days of the net I became a pirate for a while.
And if it wasn't for low cost, opensource and freeware I'd still probably be fighting the good fight.
Thankfully while they are still a big pain there are outlets for most cases u nless you are a big tv series buff and I am but not that bad that I would use all my space to do that stuff.
With the new wipo treaty for the blind books and stuff can be freely distributed round the place and that means I can subscribe to bookshare and download all I want.
True I can't get audio drama as such but with indipendant software and music/ audio producers its a lot easier.
Sadly torrents have gotten a bad name.
I wouldn't touch them even to get lagit stuff but I have no idea where I stand.
Torrenting itself is not alegal but I don't know how far this translates.
Right now, at least till the big companies can get costs down to the point they can sue just about everyone they want even if you are still on the other side unless you download large volumes or something its unlikely at least in new Zealand that you would ever get a warning notice.
And even if you got 3 notices and appeared in court its unlikely unless I guess you were really bad that you would actually have to pay for much.
There have been only a couple times publically that any charges have come to pass.
its 25 bucks for each warning so 75 bucks for 3.
its 250 to get into court so 320 bucks already for the big wigs to get you in court.
If guilty well you have to pay all that.
pluss I think there was a damages fee of 50 bucks, and the cost of the stuff you stole the digital ones I think that was 6 or so bucks in this case.
Its a bit of a jolt but nothing more.
And whenever the big corps have asked for people to spy on users and or other drastic measures, they have turned down just about everyone else.
No one wants to have to spy on everyone else,
Also in an interesting development, one the big guys should follow if at all possible, there was a small company that was on one of the lists I was on.
Who contacted the list because several people were pirating their stuff.
There was a discus sion on the list over several days and a deal was nutted out.
At the end I congradulated the company for talking and getting both sides of the story.
And while I fully realise that that won't solve everything under the sun, it does put you on better relations with your users.
Sadly that's not always the case.
while I have found a cheap and legal office and other software website, the price for some of this software, ie office are so outrageously high that  I am wandering who would buy it now.
free online office and cloud based solutions for less than it is for an offline version pluss opensource software ofcause exist, but to be honest I am supprised not more have complained about the prices.
Things are better than they have been but I still have my reservations.
there are even people thinking about making vpns alegal.
There will be always something the big guys hate and we love.
They won't win every case and neither w ill we.
The main reason though that we have got off so lightly though is that for the big corps each is more dangerous to eachother than the users are.
So if they were not fighting we would probably be in trouble.
Its been that way for a while.
And I hope it stays that way.