Confusion with snowrace

Hi.

I'm trying out Snowrace, both for my own interest and to create a db entry, however I'm confused about a couple of things.

Firstly and most seriously I can't finish the tutorial! I go through the customize character thing and just hit continue (I think I have the character Andrew), I then go to beginner's luck and select the trick tutorial. I go through a left turn, a jump and a dropoff, then after landing from the dropoff nothing happens, I just continue sliding down the mountain with nothing going on, (I left the game running for a good five minutes and nothing happned).

Second, where is this trick book? the instructions in the snowrace program folder said it was in customize character, but there are options to customize board and gear, but no trick book.

Third, what are all these tracks? Under beginner's luck there is the trick tutorial, a stunt circuit, a rally race, a free ride and a gap run. I assumed the tutoria l came first (even though it doesn't seem to end), however what are all the other options for?

Lastly, what is this about graphics? I have run the game, but I see none, heck the game doesn't even have an on screen window, which is weerd.

Some advice here would definitely be appreciated.

Edit: okay, it's not just with the tutorial. I selected the beginners luck option and the free ride track, and just went on for about 15 minutes with what I believe were the same turns and jumps, indeed I only lost out when I got board and started hammering the arrow keys to try and do different tricks in the air, and so ended up losing, which seems the only way to end a course thus far.

Goodness knows what I'm missing with this one.