Re: starting out with a guidedog.

That isn't how direct debit for electricity works, direct debit is if you are being billed in a post pay system where you receive a monthly or quarterly bill. Many rented properties instead of having the usual postpay meter have a prepay meter with credit, that way if the tenants disappear the landlord isn't left footing the bill. This credit is bought in shops using either a card or a key, the key essentially being a similar size to a particularly long flash drive but with a proprietary connection, and certain shops have a reader that the card or key goes into. You pay the shop for the credit, the shop puts the credit onto the card or key and presumably pay the utility company on your behalf.

I suppose it is possible they could run a direct debit straight onto the meter, though if so I haven't heard of this. It's also very likely you'll either end up accumulating masses of extra credit or else running out, and believe me you will use a lot more gas in winter than summer so it all varies depending on the weather among other factors.

As for shopping remember you'll have to get your shopping from the shop to the taxi and from the taxi to your home. I usually use a backpack for shopping so I'm limited to what I can fit in the backpack, since I need one hand for dog or cane and the other for finding doors and just generally feeling out for things. Between that and the potential communication difficulty with the staff in the shop, not to mention the fact that it's easier for me to find an alternative in the online shop if they don't have exactly what I want, I just find ordering it far easier. I usually get something like two weeks worth of stuff in from ordering online then grab anything extra I mighght want in the local shop.

It's always a good idea to give these kinds of things a go before you move out on your own, that way you don't find yourself having to rely on an arrangement you have n't tested and getting stuck. I'm sure your parents would be willing to let you sort out some shopping for them as a test run if you wanted.

You'll also never, ever meet members of your preferred gender if you live like a hermit and even if by some miracle you did they wouldn't be interested in you. If that doesn't bother you that's fine but it's worth being aware of.