Re: Let's Talk About Artificial Intelligence And Virtual Reality

I was going to post something long and technical.  Instead, go read Accellerando by Charles Stross.  it's a nice bit of fiction, and it also happens to be a nice introduction to a lot of the transhuman stuff.  It's technically 9 short stories linked as a novel.  The first 3 are things that can happen in 50 years or so, and for which we are starting to see the first hints now.  The next 6 get a lot of the ways that I suspect culture and society will change right, but kind of go off the rails in terms of tech a little.  Fortunately, that's okay--it's a demonstration of a so-called singularity and, if we manage to have one in real life, it'll go along the same lines.
Also, Verner Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep which has an antagonist that is an AI along these lines: not exactly evil in and of itself.  Verner Vinge is one of the authors credited with getting a lot of the current movement started, way back before peopl e were going "well, we can make cars drive themselves, so why not?"
I think Accellerando is kinda essential reading for this conversation.  It presents the possibility which most people who argue about this stuff argue about in the first place.  Unfortunately, we don't have a paperclip maximizer book because that just doesn't work as a plot (and then, they were all turned into paperclips.  Or drugged to be happy and lived happily ever after).  To that end, the article I linked is also kinda essential reading.