Re: Let's Talk About Artificial Intelligence And Virtual Reality

Hi Camlorn.
I think that came out wrong I did mean AI would be amoral. The x-files episode I watched was about a computer killing people not because it enjoyed it but to protect itself from being shut down or killed if you could call something like that a living thing. At the end of the episode it's not said if the machine is good or evil it's left up to you.
I've read some fiction where the characters use human brains as AI machines which obviously would be impossible to keep a brain alive long enough to transfer it from a human to a computer but it did make me think. If this were really possible we would just be brains floating in tanks without bodies that is a horrible thought.
As for virtual reality if it were made possible in the near future it would change humanity forever. Things like military training could be done in a vr environment that could take you through scenarios that you might not experience in the real world.
Of course there wo uld be plenty of downsides to this like you mentioned having religious experiences that would really be aweful.
@Severestormsteve, that's interesting if somebody coded an AI to do something like commit murder or something like that it could be considered an evil thing. You could also try to make something good but the big question is how would you explain morality to a machine? If you think about it if we had AI computers we could just write a program to tell it to go kill somebody or blow up a building but how would you explain to a machine something like doing something nice for somebody just because you want to? Years ago I watched the terminator movies where skynet is always the bad guy always evil but how would it know if it hated humans or not? As much as I like those movies I have to admit there not well thought out.
[[wow]] this post got way longer than I wanted it to be lol.