Re: Let's Talk About Artificial Intelligence And Virtual Reality

@severestormsteve1
We already have learning algorithms.  Go look up IBM Watson.  Go look up how the Google self-driving car works, or how Google has managed to get their hands on a system that can learn to beat most Atari games given only the graphics and the game score.  If you know a bit of programming, you can have an AI that learns to do a simple thing like xor two binary numbers off examples in a couple hours.  My point is that what you know of as AI from games isn't even touching what the actual field is doing.
In theory, if nothing else, you could make an algorithm and ask it to learn how to be sentient.  one of the possible ways people think this could happen is building a program that learns how to build your AI instead of just doing it yourself.
@dark
You can define ethical frameworks for good and evil if and only if a human or a god-like being is involved.  Trees aren't evil.  Rocks aren't evil.  A being which we build that has a mindstate that doesn't even allow for ethics is not evil in itself.  We're stupid for doing it, but it's not evil save from a human perspective.  The best that can be said is that it's kind of like a nuclear bomb.  Give us another hundred years and we'll probably have the tech to use them in peacetime applications.  In fact, they're one way we could actually reach Alpha Centauri in theory.  We almost did.  But good and evil are just too ridiculously human.  Something that cares only about getting paperclips doesn't even have those concepts; if it does, more paperclips is goodness and less paperclips is evil.
As for my brain, yes, my sentience is here.  I'm a computer scientist.  I can go out and start playing with genetic algorithms on my laptop if I want.  A complete brain upload is possible if we can develop the scanning technology, even if we have to g o down to the molecular level.  The estimates place this anywhere from 50 to 500 years away, depending on how detailed the simulation has to be.  If you want to say intelligence is separate from molecules, you're going to have to allow for something which is outside of physics.  The argument to sentient AI is the same as the argument "can we upload a brain and run it?"  If the answer is yes to the latter, the answer is yes to the former.  Everything I have seen that says no to the latter relies on stuff which is not physically possible.  The most common I've seen is that our brains are using quantum effects.
As for BCI, well, we've got artificial retinas.  A team at my college is working on figuring out how to figure out what you are focusing on at all times, the application being to get your mouse to follow your attention so you never have to do it.  They expect to meet with success.  We are again pretty far out from something like a neurocanula, but no one in these sciences is seriously thinking it's impossible anymore.