Re: AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER

Yep Phil, as I thought. Though it's absolutely pratchett's thing to go out with the Reaperman.

I believe I must have read most of his books sinse for a long time they were the only fantasy I could get hold of, indeed the Rnib have done quite a surprising selection including things like his short collection of thoughts on felines the unadulterated cat.

I will confess that my first pratchett book, Pyramids which I read when I was twelve I didn't think much to, sinse while I enjoyed the word play I felt the book didn't really know whether it was trying to be a serious fantasy or not, ---- though in fairness by bad luck I'd probably started with the single worst of the Discworld novels.

Sorcery, my first introduction to Wizards and the colour octerene improved my over all disposition but I still felt the book was a little off place, however by the time I'd read equal rights, Lords and ladies, reaperman and above all Soul mu sic, not to mention the none discworld book Truckers all of which i read before I was 14 I had very much changed my disposition and got where Pratchett was coming from, indeed I still remember being very destracted when I was 15 and taking my English Gcse (all six hours of it), because I was in the middle of Small Gods, (which I still regard as one of the best of Diskworld).

It's actually odd, I never counted myself a serious fan of pratchett or of discworld, despite the fact that I've read so much of his work, I always said "Well they're fun for what they are" but even though this wasn't exactly unexpected, and even though in his final book Raising steam (which also serves almost as a celibration of everything Discworld), Pratchett was clearly not a well man, I find myself quite shocked, indeed it's rather odd to think that for all I counted pratchett's writing as "fun" and not "serious fantasy", there won't be any of the like again in the future.

So, a sad thing indeed.

Btw, I'm now reading Pratchett's gnomes trilogy with the idea of writing reviews for fantasybookreview.co.uk.

I've already done a review for The Carpet People, and there are of course lots of other reviews on site for his discworld and other offerings, but great as the Discworld is I do always feel it's good to remember that Pratchett was far from a one trick pony, heck he even wrote two honest to gooness science fiction novels, Strata and ark side of the sun, (Dark Side of the sun is particularly awsome).