Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

@Briant, why should there be a discount for those who own the first game? remember this isn't entombed version 2.0, it is entombed ii the skeleton tower, it takes place in a different dungeon and from what Jason has said will have some very major differences to the original Entombed.

It's something entirely new, albeit based on what we know, and so I don't see why a discount for those who bought the first game would be needed.

@Garret, shades of doom and Entombed are entirely different games. It would presumably be possible to go through the entire shades of doom without being hit if you were good enough, that is not the case for entombed. All resting over time would do would, as Crashmaster said mean you ended up sitting around for long periods after each fight recovering which is exactly what we were trying to avoid with the resting discussion. You do however bring up a good point about resting in the original game not curing some conditions. If the meals or safe places method of limited rests was used, then it seems resting probably should not cure conditions, as then managing meals and managing curative potions would be another part of the game to consider. If however either Jason's thought about the party being restored after each fight (not an idea I am personally keen on but obviously it's Jason's game), then it seems resting should heal conditions sinse if the challenge is just getting through the one encounter, then the conditions are part of that encounter.

if a rest vs reward system (or even a rest vs punishment system though again I'm not a fan of that), was introduced, then i'd suggest rests do cure zombie rot and such, because that would again encourage players to make their way through the dungeon, reattaching limbs and curing rot as they can as far as they can to earn more rewards.

Btw, I also do think curative potions for status effects should be more common, but perhaps to compensate there should be other bad status effects as well, eg, acid that burns you, slime poisoning that temporarily gellifies your lims, fear that causes you not to be able to act etc.

@Guitarman, the point of modding is to allow freedom with the game, thus I don't think a streight up creator would allow this. For example, suppose I wanted to create a unicorn enemy with the special attack skewer which did pennetrating and holy light damage to the target, caused the limb or torso involved to be "speared" meaning it was severely injured but took extra rounds to recover from as the unicorn finished it's charge and whieled around. All of that would require some quite extensive playing with the properties of attacks, creating a new skewered condition, adding damage types, and likely adding the inactivity of the unicorn afterwards. that would effectively mean programming a new attack and condition into the game with new properties, albeit the programming woul d be done in an English like language and would be more like spelling out what I want.
that sort of customization just wouldn't be possible with a "insert text and sounds here" type of approach.

Plus of course, getting! sound files onto an Ios device is a pest anyway due to Apple's silly policy of hiding the filing system (I know there are ways around but they're not convenient).

If there were an Ios version it'd probably either just be the main game, or have the ability to download mods from a central server or database, but I couldn't really see mod creation being a thing on Ios.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mirage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : themadviolinist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : powergamer via Audiogames-reflector