Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

@garrett, Hell yes, but hopefully moderately fair hell if such a thing exists, ie with good stratogy your not just super dooomed! big_smile.

@Arjan, Yep, now you mention it silence did exist, but only as a scroll from what I remember not as a regular spell or ability for any characters or monsters. I know Jason is planning on rejigging the hardness property in Entombed 2, sinse frankly in Entombed 1 it got a bit silly, what with stuff like your wolf and all ranged weapons becoming literally useless, and even tough ones like steel weapons barely causing a scratch (the assassin with the crytical hits skill was almost a prerequisite for melee fighters in entombed 1 to do any damage at all at lower levels).

From what Jason said earlier in this topic, I do know that magic and ranged attacks will have different hit properties, and doubtless this will affect hitting different body parts too so just as it's easier to hit someone in the torso with a sword the same will be true for an arrow, (hay it's a bigger target wherever your standing).

I was never exactly certain what the size property did in entombed 1, sinse it always seemed to be honest that using shrink on enemies or grow on your own side had weerd effects, and often didn't change what damage was done. The only major difference I noticed is a larger size creature could more easily knock down a smaller one.
I will say though I love the idea of relative creature sizes playing a part in what body parts can be attacked, or at least the chances of what body parts can be attacked.

This wouldn't be too hard to program or convey to the player, sinse all you'd need to do is have some basic size categories to assign to creatures which could be read in stats, and then calculate some miss averages on upper limbs and head relative to difference of size categories for standing creatures.

For example say your size categories were tiny (under 2.5 feet), small (2-5 to 4.5 feet), average (4.5 to 6.5 feet), large (6.5 to 8 feet), huge (8-12 feet), giant (12-16 feet), gargantuan (16-25 feet), and titanic (25 feet plus), and then calculate a miss chance on targeting the upper limbs or head at a rate of %5 additional misschance for short melee weapons or %3 per level for long melee weapons, with £%1 for ranged or magic.

So that way if your small hobbit was trying to hit a huge troll in the head with his shortsword he'd been looking at a %15 misschance, though of course to save swapping the entombed 1 hardness problem for an entombed 2 size problem you'd also need some smaller but tougher creatures on the lower dungeon levels too such as imps or wights rather than just having the entire place populated by massive trolls and hulking giants.

This also makes me think about flying creatures, sinse logically if something is flying it should both be harder to hit, but also be less able to get up once brought down as well (and who wouldn't want some specific anti flight items or spells).

Definitely plenty of possibilities to play with here.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Tikki via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Tikki via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector