Re: talking windows pe four 64 bit installation of windows now available.

gellman wrote:

Update:

I have uploaded a 64bit bootable VHD which can easily be converted to a bootable USB.

- Added support for Winamp and  Winrar.

- Changed the boot loader from Grub to Microsoft's Bootmgr.

- Added the EFI files from the Windows 8.1 Recovery Drive so that the talking Win8.1PENVDA should now boot even on a system with Secureboot enabled.

I tested that UEFI boot is working by forcing VMWare Workstation to boot the disk in UEFI mode.

The UEFI files are  copied from the Windows USB recovery drive and are signed by Microsoft.

That should be enough for Secureboot to work, but who knows.

The file is a  VHD and can be imported and used in a virtual machine to bootstrap a talking installation of Windows or be booted natively from inside Windows 7 or 8-8.1 or even better be converted to a bootable Secureboot compliant USB drive.

Converting the vhd to bootable USB is very easy.

Just plug in your USB drive and format it as FAT32 and create an active partition with diskpart.

Copy the contents of the mounted VHD to the root of your USB drive.

Then detach the vhd and you now have a bootable USB drive  which works even in a UEFI and Secureboot scenario.

I have been able to verify that basic UEFI boot works in VMWare, but I don't have a system with Secureboot enabled, so I hope that someone will ttest it.

What I did?

First, I did some research and found out that the Recovery Drive created by the File History/Recovery Settings in Windows 8.1 is Secureboot compliant.

The Recovery Drive is basically a Windows PE with a commandline and some rudimentary recovery tools, but of course with no speech or accessibility.

Secureboot requires the boot loader and system loader to be signed by Microsoft, but there is no obstacle to creating your own Secureboot compliant WinPE.

So I us ed the Windows Recovery Drive as skeleton and copied boot.wim from WIN81PENVDA onto the USB recovery drive as sources\boot.wim.

Hope that others find this research useful.

Download links (Zippyshare):

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/BuoNrNv5/file.html
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/1lT0sOWP/file.html
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/UFqxSUcu/file.html
http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/IMhqYwoU/file.html
http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/9atgQTws/file.html
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/ABvKXqvg/file.html
http://www6 0.zippyshare.com/v/HUJCEPbS/file.html
http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/4tuYZgAS/file.html

Download links(Sendspace):

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mgc5k2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xe0szp
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xgg016
https://www.sendspace.com/file/l10cdj
https://www.sendspace.com/file/qp386l
https://www.sendspace.com/file/34ggj9
https://www.sendspace.com/file/s1v50k
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ezsz76

C ould someone repoast this vhd? I tried both sendspace and the zip share thing, but none of them seem to work anymore. I would be very greatful for a repoast, since someone dumped a secure boot on me and needs a reinstall...

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : criticview via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : criticview via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : criticview via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector