Audio labelers

I currently use the VoxCom audio labeling system. It worksbut at the time I bought it, I hadn't thought too much about it, or I would have seen problems. The first is that it's labels are large, about the size of a credit card, not very good if you want to label a pill bottle, and an even bigger problem, it only allows for 100 unique labels, that may seem like a lot at first, but by the time you put labels in your DVDs, software, CDs, etc., you find 100 labels isn't very many. I only have six unused labels left.

So I boughta Voila labeling system to eventually replace the VoxCom. Its labels are much smaller, about 2 inches by 3/8 inches, so they'd work for small things. The labels appear to be intended to be reused because they seem pretty durable. While experimenting with it, I noticed that it's pretty finickey about how fast you pass its scanning tip over its labels, though I suspect over time you'll learn the right speed and get it right ever y time. It too has a limit on the number of unique labels in can handle, at 250 labels, it's better than the VoxCom, but after the VoxCom label shortage, I wonder if even that many will be enough. Its still in its box, untouched except for about 15 minutes of trying it out, so if I decide to go with something else, I can still return it.

So now I'm thinking of getting a Pen Friend. From what I can tell, they're using something like an RFI chip in the labels, I say this because at only 13mm or 1/2 inch, the labels are too small to scan for a bar code, and the description says, you just bring the reading tip of the Pen Friend close to the label for it to read it. I also noticed that one store here in the United states has label pack H, which means eight packs of labels with about 400 labels in each pack for a total of 3,200 labels, and that doesn't include the magnetic or the laundry label packs. The up side of that is you'll never run out of unique labe ls, but the down side is that even with 4 GB of storage for 70 hours of audio data, it doesn't have the room to store a description for all those labels, which means you'll have to keep track of which labels you no longer have so you can delete the message for it.

One other thing I noticed, the audio labeling systems are intended for the blind or visually impaired, and yet neither the VoxCom or the Voila come with an accessible manual. I don't know if the Pen Friend comes with one or not, but I found a text file with its instructions online, so it does have an accessible manual as far as I'm concerned.

So, while I'm thinking about the Pen Friend, I thought I'd get some input from people who might have or are using any one of these labeling systems. I'd like to hear any experiences, thoughts, and advice you can offer.

Thanks.