Re: Q9 Has a New Home

I want to turn this on its ear. I know, I know, I do that a lot.

So, first of all, before I go anywhere, let's stuff all the "flaws" and "hard gin" crap, okay? it's stupid, it's immature, it's juvenile. Stuff it.

Now, here we go.

So, let us say that Leasey was based on NVDA instead of jaws. Let's say NVDA was the program that cost what Jaws costs now, and Leasey was based on it.

What we have here are a lot of NVDA users who don't like Jaws for one reason or other. some of them are complaining because they can't play Q9 anymore. Some of them are complaining because Jaws got the pie and NVDA didn't. Some of them, I think, don't know what they're complaining about.

So here's my question: would any of you NVDA users be howling if we Jaws users were screwed out of q9? Can any of you honestly say that you'd think it unfair?

If you can, then kudos to you. It means you' re taking the right issue...that some people are having limitations placed on them based on their choice of screenreader. And that's fine, I suppose.

If you can't, then guess what? Call a spade a spade. You're upset because Jaws is supported and NVDA isn't. Don't try and tell us it's not about your screenreader when it totally is. You're not upset because the rights were locked away from you; you're upset because the rights were given to Jaws users -instead of you. There's an appreciable difference.

One thing you don't see me, or Gene, or other Jaws users doing, is making fun of NVDA or Mr. Hartgen. Even if we disagree with what he's doing, even if we think there are issues with the arguments, the issues are by and large being brought up in a mature fashion.

I am not a pure Jaws user. I utilize NVDA from time to time. it's lightweight. It's neat. It's got a lot of flexibility and tons and tons of promise. But I like jaws better, I grew up on it and am used to it, and while I have a lot of issues with it, I'm comfortable enough with it.
I'm not here to debate which is better, only to cut through all the crap about one's reason for protest.

I sometimes think people try and protest a thing based on general rights when what they're really whining about is "Hey! why didn't we get it?" Not all of you objectors are doing this. Not by far. But some of you are, and you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

As a side-note: I don't really intend to bother with Leasey, so my days of playing q9 are done. They've been done for years, however. And let's be brutally realistic for just a moment, okay? Q9 was cute, but you could beat it in about two hours if you wanted to play on all difficulties and get the endings. it wasn't going to change your life. it wasn't going to revolutionize the way you look at audio games. If Philip had a massive library of really well-loved audio games he sold to HartGen, and then it was locked away forever, then okay. Be annoyed with that, I suppose. But let's keep some realistic perspective, people. It's q9. The world didn't end. Cut your losses and move on. Philip has.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector