Re: Q9 Has a New Home

Nocturnis, I can respect where you're coming from. There are many users who rely on things to the extent that they don't want to go outside their comfort zone. I used to be that way with NVDA a bit, until I realized I was losing nothing and gaining a great deal by making the attempt. I'm still a Jaws user but I agree with the state of its progress, so I'm not what one would call a "loyal Jaws user". I use it because I like how it works, and because I'm used to it. Concurrently, I use NVDA for certain things when either Jaws won't work or when NVDA is just better across the board. Generally I think Jaws still has a more robust feature list, and the way NVDA displays the net is still a hangup for me, but it's personal preference at that point.
I went and had a look at Leasey's pages last night. There's actually a page now which lists programs you might want if you're a Leasey user. Fubar, the media player you mentioned , was noted, and so were things like Skype, Chicken Nugget (which I don't use as I'm not on twitter), Spotify, Audible, etc. As such, I saw it making reference to other programs, and when I saw Fubar I was sort of pleased. Again, I don't use it, but I know its usefulness.
In any case, I think Leasey is a mixed bag. I don't think the hype should be as big as it is, and I absolutely loathe the advertising strategy being utilized, but I do think that some people can get a lot of use out of it.
You know how when you were using Jaws, you might turn graphics off, or you might disable headings or tables or whatnot? Or you might change Windows 7 so it acts more like the classic windows xp? You're changing the way something works out of the box, so it will suit you better, and I personally think there's nothing wrong with this. Same goes for installing jaws scripts to use Skype (another beef with NVDA, by the way, I can't seem to make it work with skype...maybe I just don't have the right add-on installed. Leasey basically customizes how you interact with your computer. Instead of you going digging for stuff, it just makes things easier to get at, for the basic user anyway. For the more advanced user it has more flexibility.
I won't be using it, but I can see the good it may do if forward thinking really continues being used in its execution.

All this is a huge digression, of course. I can respect where you're coming from without agreeing with you all the way. I think the main thrust of the topic has been lost, and I've contributed to that, so I apologize.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jeffb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tward via Audiogames-reflector