Re: Q9 Has a New Home

GeneWarner, 4 years ago, I was in and out of the hospital with heart troubles, that's where I've been, that's why I wasn't able to buy the game. I played Swamp avidly and had to give that up too, all my novel writing, fishing, everything. It's only been recently that my health has improved well enough for me to get back to the point where I can sit in front of my computer for long enough of a time to sit down and play a descent game. And I'm not so upset over Philip's decision, though I think a little extra forethought upon his part could've avoided this mess (he could've found an alternative vendor to have sold the rights to or stipulated in the sale of rights that it continue to be offered as a stand-alone product), it's more Bryan's attitude that seems to be the problem to me.

And thank you for proving my point, you weren't around when Freedom Scientific was breaking federal antitrust laws and was getting away wi th it, and all of the avid Jaws users pretty much laughed in the faces of those of us that disliked FS' practices. I was around when they filed lawsuits against Gw Micro over placemarkers, trying to claim they stole the idea. I was around when they tried to force Himms to pay an exorbanant fee to get their Braille Sense drivers included in Jaws because Himms distributed with Gw Micro. I'm sure other screen reader users here could flag other examples I'm either not aware of or have forgotten where FS tried to bully their competition clean out of the market.

And no, Window-Eyes has been around much longer than just 9 years. I started using Window-Eyes in 1997 or 98 when version 3.0 came out. And where are the Window-Eyes users and it's just the NVDA users complaining? Haven't you read a single post I've written. I'm primarily a Window-Eyes user, NVDA is only a secondary, back-up should I have reason to use it. Dark is a Super Nova user, and he& #039;s thrown his two cents worth in on this thread.

And yes, companies try to destroy their competition, but there is one problem with that, most industrialized countries, especially the United States where FS and Gw Micro/ASquared are located, have anti-trust laws to prevent monopolies. FS got away with their attempts to flagrantly violate those laws because of people like you defending them, because FS knew Gw Micro didn't have the kind of resources to fight them in court constantly, and because most of the governmental agencies here in the U.S. had contracts with FS to supply their blind users with Jaws exclusively. I'm lucky that I lived in one of those few places in the U.S. where Jaws didn't have a lock on government contracts, so when I discovered that I didn't like Jaws, I had a chance to switch to Window-Eyes. Now that NVDA has come out though, FS has competition it can't handle, simply because it's free and offers most of the features t he expensive screen readers offer.

So no, this isn't an NVDA-only complaining session. And for my part, even if Leasey were a Window-Eyes only or NVDA only platform, I'd still have a serious problem with this for all the reasons I've explained in all my prior posts. Jack referred to FS being the Rockefeller of the screen reader market, perhaps you should actually look up Rockefeller as Jack suggested for a little historical context to anti-trust laws. The irony is Microsoft was being threatened with anti-trust break-up at the same time FS was pushing in fact to try and become one, and nobody lifted a finger to try and stop them, until a non-profit organization came along and released a free screen reader that stripped FS of some of its clout. No, I don't particularly like NVDA, which is why I don't use it as my primary screen reader, but I give the developers loads of credit for single-handedly ending FS' domination over the market, to some degree at least.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jeffb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tward via Audiogames-reflector