Re: Tips and Tricks for KoDP

@Dan, please post some information about this football management game. I'd also greatly appreciate it if you made the information rather complete, sinse while I don't mind trying the game for purposes of exploring it in order to make a db page if it is free, football management doesn't interest me in the slightest so obviously the more information I can get about the game the better sinse it's not likely to be a game I'd be interested in playing long term myself, indeed if it is paid I might have to ask you for a full description sinse while I'm always happy to try games in order to write convincingly about them for the database, even games of genres I am not usually into, I'm afraid buying a game which is unlikely to peak my interest is going a wee bit too far big_smile.

As to Angband, well I will admit I've been lucky in that Angband is the one roguelike I've had success playing through a combination of very supernova friendly text and high visibility graphic tyles, although sadly making the game completely accessible without the graphics at all likely isn't possible.
The one thing about Angband however, is that playing successfully, and actually playing so as to have an interesting game are two very, very different things. To succeed most people pretty much run through the dungeon, never stopping to explore unless they get a good dungeon level message and killing very few monsters.
Personally, I prefer to see what I can outwit or out fight on my way and only abandon situations that actually look ridiculously dangerous. This is why my furthest dungeon level in Angband is only around level 30 or so, because simply running through not exploring or engaging and just looking to minimax equipment to stupid levels of resistance just doesn't interest me as a playing style for all it's the o nly way to succeed.
Of course this apparently has been a tendency they've been trying to change in the last couple of versions, or so I remember reading.

Anyway back to Kodp, pretty much any of the none human races can be deadly if you piss them off enough, though elves are more inconvenient than truly horrific. Dragonewts, trolls, beastmen and even dwarves (which I don't think there are many of in the game), can all pretty much slaughter you if you get on their nurves enough, that is why it's best off to have either prax or the ice demons as your traditional enemies, indeed the ice demons also come with the handy advantage of letting you raid in winter.

I only tend to find there is a mid game slump if I'm waiting to be elected king, though at the same time sinse the events are always pretty random and there is lots of map to explore, even when you've got stable relations with the other clan members there is still something to be done.

My one issue with the game is that heroquests are a little too unfare as far as your choices go, sinse you can still choose the right choice and fail and then next time assume you chose the wrong one. This is why I used the wiki to tell me the optimum choices for heroquests, particularly sinse while some myths like making of the storm tribe and Urnalda feeds the tribe are very specific, others are still pretty vague even when you actually have all the mysteries for them, also sinse you have to complete three heroquests within ten years to win the short game or bust, your really pressured,indeed I confess that last short game I finished I did save cheat a little just to complete orlanth and Duroga, sinse "sorry guys,not quick enough, bye bye goes the prophecy" is a little unfare.

I do need to try a long game actually, which would give me time to complete the quests and if I failed to simply let my clan recover which I'd much prefer to do.