Re: Considering switching to Java, recommended resources for learning how

The thing that drives me away from C++ is, as stated in many books I've read on the language, C++ comes with all the issues that C has, and, in fact, introduces many new issues that make people use other languages. Things like memory management - C allows you to do dangerous things with that (dangling pointers, no out-of-bounds array checking, etc.) - and C++ introduces the new, new[], delete, and delete[] operators, which furthermore complements the memory management issue. I agree, Tward, that c++ is a great language - and I use it a lot - but when it comes to memory management, I use something else. I do enjoy many aspects about C++ other than memory management issues though. Things like classes, namespaces, etc. allow you to sort your code into different sections - if you will - to organize it, while C just is a huge mess.
Another thing I like about C++ are templates. They allow you to make functions that can take any type of argument - it's quite cool. (that re minds me of the vaargs and mixed types in LPC.) Also, C and C++ is, for me at least, one of the best languages for writing compilers, parsers, and interpreters. (Java is the second best choice for me on that one.)
I could go into hundreds of debates with you all on what game was written in what language, and what languages are the best for so and so, but I don't have time for such debates - unless you can spare about a year or so for arguments that have no end, meaning, and that go absolutely nowhere and accomplish nothing.