Re: Considering switching to Java, recommended resources for learning how

You know, every time this topic comes up, even if I'm the one to bring it up, I start getting discouraged and make no progress. Then I look back at the BGT user manual and am reminded of why I was so excited when I discovered it.

Put simply, the tutorials are written in such a way that I'm put at ease, and the process seems fun. I have yet to find a coding tutorial that makes me feel as optimistic as BGT does. I've been working on the hand-coding a little but it's been a while since I did that because a combination of life and general discouragement pulled me away. In the end, I have to ask myself, am I questioning the right thing? I feel that, with practice, I'll be able to build my game in BGT. All the features I will need are codable. I feel comfortable with it. Other people in this forum feel comfortable with other programs, and indeed, some of their plans require other programs to work. Perhaps BGT may not be the engine I use forever, but only I know what I want out of a game, and honestly, the sooner I have a world to play in, regardless of whether or not I stick with BGT, the sooner I'll be motivated to continue my project.

In short, I think I'm done asking if this is or isn't the right language for me to use. I want to have fun, and BGT's tutorials are written in the spirit of fun. That's why I keep coming back to it and smiling. The easy-going documentation resonates with me, and that hasn't changed despite the debates I've seen and started.