Re: New Infinite Apocalpytic Procedural Ascii Game "The Wastes"

@Frastlin I agree. I actually stopped raising the mad skills perk once I got to getting about 16 skill points a level just because I got board of pressing the same numbers over and over, a "assignn all" or "assign multiple option would be nice.

@Wastelander, I'd personally vote in favour of  balancing int xp bonuses rather than deliberately making players lose int with traps, sinse hopefully later on when more features get added to the game int will have lots of other uses as well as just increasing xp from monsters.

I do not know exactly how the int vs xp bonuses work currently, but I'd guess that the reason some monsters are giving hundreds of thousands of xp is that the int bonus calculation is something like monster xp times the player's amount of int, which is just as loopy as xp doubling per level was.

I'd suggest myself that each point of int just gives a flat xp bonus to be added to what a player gets, say each poi nt of int gives 5 pointes extra xp from each monster kill, 10 points extra for each region or dungeon completion, and one extra point for each random event when travelling, (goodness knows about mining but I'm personally staying away from the mines until we've had some fixes).

Yes, this means that at higher levels a player with 200 int will be getting a constant extra thousand xp per monster they slay and an extra two thousand for each dungeon or region completion, but by the time you get to that point you'll be looking at several hundred thousand xp to advance anyway. Also, this would mean that even killing a basic monster in a low grade region got a player at least some bennifit, which is important in a game where you could be fighting a level one monster even when your character is level 100 or so.

Also, by having the int bonus be constant, you make it mean more at lower levels. So, a player at level 1 with their starting 5 int will be getting an extra 25 xp per kill or 50 xp per dungeon completion, but that means effectively they'll reach level 2 in 16 kills or less, which might also help the survival rate at lower levels somewhat.

Another alternative might be to keep the system as is, but in some way have the player's level decrease the int bonus.sinse I don't know the formula involved I can't give specifics, but if the formula was just monster xp times int, you could calculate it on monster xp times int devided by character level instead. Thus, a player at level 50 with 100 int would only be getting a doubled bonus, while a player at level 1 with 10 int would be getting an x 10 bonus.

I'd personally be more in favour of the flat rate system above, sinse that seems farer at all levels, and as I say I don't know how the system works currently, but there are certainly alternative methods of calculation that would equalize things a bit better with the squared xp progression without need to penalize player's.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : liseo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : liseo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector