Re: Monthly chat August 2015

@Blindncool is Tim Lahaye the one who rights sort of military fiction? I've not come across that series.

@Wanderer, I can see sort of what you mean, however the song doesn't really disturb me. It's got the miner 7th cord pattern on guitar and some of the words sounded sort of interesting, though for me I'm used to much! weerder things in that vane, for example stuff from Leonard Cohen like Avalanche which you can find here or the immortal Court of the Crimson King, a song which enspired Steven King's dark tower series, Listen to it here

While we're on the subject of surreal experiences, I  definitely had one yesterday.
The lady from the Guide dogs association was a very nice woman called Rachel, and we got on extremely well (she was a big Lotr fan). She was very happy with myself and Reever and what we were doing , and she did find me the bank (it's luckily relatively close to Tesco which I know the location of anyway though still in the busiest part of town as opposed to just five minutes round the corner).

The unfortunately surreal bit however was that this lady had the very same north Yorkshire accent which Egret, many of the wildlings and the northmen have in the GAme of thrones tv series. Coming back from our walk, she said "oh there's a dead crow on the grass" and instantly my mind went to "what is the body of a brother of the knights watch doing outside my flat?"

Yes, I admit this was crazy! had she not had the accent she did, I likely would've indeed realized she meant the black feathered bird not the brothers of the watch, but I've been reading a lot of stuff on tower of the hand and looking forward to watching ggame of thrones season 5 recently, it really was quite whacky!

I've just started Dragonkeeper, the fi rst book of the Rainwild chronicles by Robin Hob. I've always liked hobb's stuff particularly her liveship traders series (pirates and dragons are awesome! and it's slightly less depressing than her stuff starring Fitz), so I've been eager to read this, although Hob's stuf is so emotive and so all consuming I find I have to leave gaps between when i read it. I read Farseer in 2011 (when training with Reever), Liveship in 2013, and taunyman last year.

I've heard that Dragonkeeper was less of a standard than her other stuf, people have cryticized it as being too slow and having two dimentional characters,f but other than a rather annoying tendency for characters to spout exposition a bit too much I'm not finding this at all, actually it's really! compelling to read, then again I'm always a sucker for a fascinating landscape and the Rainwilds is genuinely fascinating plus, Dragons! and very well written, well described dragons at that , actually a sequence involving Dragons with various birth defects was genuinely heartrenching.

I can sort of see why people say "two dimentional characters" but mostly I'd say it's more a case of uncomplicated rather than specifically badly written, though there is at least one situation in the book where I can see exactly what is going on but where one character is basically being portrayed as a bastard because we only ever see him from his Wife's pov.

While Hobb doesn't have quite as huge a gender bias as someone like Dorice Lessing or Marian Zimmer Bradly (or some of Ursula Leguin's later stuff), not the Robbin Hobb who created Wintro, the Fool and King Verity, I have noticed she has a tendency to make emotional conflicts and emotionally damaged male characters come off badly while having similar conflicts and similar damage for female characters come off well.
The worst instance by far! was the case of Kennit in Liveship, a nd unfortunately this rather one sided wife's perspective of a genuinely difficult situation is I believe going to go the same way.

Certainly not a major negative sinse said wife is going to have a lot more interesting things to do, for all the way Kennit's story resolved really did! bother me and I've got a nasty feeling this one is going to go the same way.

Speaking of literature, more reviews posted for www.fantasybookreview.co.uk, now some red dwarf books. I've really enjoyed doing these, though as people will gather, I do like woffling about books rather a lot, though I doubt I'll be reviewing Rainwilds sinse it's got two main reviews on site already.

Well today I have the fun task of packing up my desctop and carting it 200 miles down the country to be fixed. A bit of a pain but it'll be worth it in the end sinse I've missed having music on my big speakers or being able to sit with my wireless keyboard on my settee rather than having to spend most time in my bedroom with a laptop.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : petrastavreva via Audiogames-reflector