Windows 7 and 8 Now Getting The Spyware Treatment

FYI, Microsoft intensifies data collection on Windows 7 and 8 systems.

Right now you can remove the updates and then hide them, assuming they are not depended upon by future updates and that they will not be unhidden at a later time (as has been observed to happen). They are all "Recommended" and not critical. It is also possible to block the named hosts at your firewall, though this may have consequences if you use other Microsoft services. However, if you were intending to avoid the spyware in Win10 by staying on 7 or 8, then now is a very good time indeed to rethink your OS choices. Microsoft has given up the privacy charade.

Me? I despair. I don't really know what the answer is. True, I don't use Windows much, but I still need it sometimes. There's always that XP VM, I suppose. Or Vista ...

And why? Why does an OS want to t alk to the network unless you explicitly ask it to?

Oh well. Windows doesn't matter anyway. The more people drop it, the more alternatives gain relevance. So it's alright. You just keep it up, MS. I'm sure the apologists will be along shortly to defend this nonsense, but it doesn't matter as long as enough people get the hint, stop fighting it, and transition.

Sad. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Windows.