Re: good science fiction book

@Cw, I'm told bard is particularly good for audiobooks which I'd definitely like to try, though sinse my lady is American and still has her account I can probably borrow herse if needs be. Then again I can't complain too much about book availability recently, sinse I'm very spoilt for choice at the moment and have a lot of stuff. As regards lists, well I'd suggest just adding this topic to your favourites or bookmarks or whatever and checking it again sinse there a lot of suggestions, indeed I've done this before myself.

@Guitarman, funny you should mention Alastair Reynolds, I've got pushing ice on my victor at the moment and sinse I've just finished some very different stuff I'm thinking of giving it a go next. I'd really like to read more of the Vorkosigan books, thus far warrior's apprentice and one other are the only books I've read, again though i need to see about numbers.
Tad Williams is an almost perf ect author who I'd just recommend on principle. That being said, his urban fantasy bobby dollar series I was less keen on, at least apart from book 2 most of which takes place in hell so it was not exactly urban fantasy big_smile.

Still with books 1 and 3 and with the characters it's the first time I've read something by williams and been a trifle disappointed, not bad by any means, but not Williams normal standard.

Getting back to scifi though, one other book I can highly recommend is George R R Martin's Dying of the light. Beautifully described set on an alien planet with some very alien cultures, a world where a festival has been celibrated but one where the planet is now leaving it's sun's orbit (hence the book's title), also a lot of history and background behind it despite it being as much a story of characters and conflict as anythi ng else by Martin. I've heard some good things about some other scifi he's written, but that's the only one of them I've read.

Another series I can highly recommend are the cadwal chronicles by Jack Vance. The books are Araminta station, Ecce and Old Earth, and Throy.
It's not a new series, but like a lot by Vance (especially his dying earth fantasy series), it's gained a real reputation, and quite deservedly so. The books are set mostly on Cadwal, which is a very diverse alien planet protected gfrom colonization and exploitation by a group of hereditary colonists who live on the titula Araminta station, sinse Cadwal is famous for it's unique brand of wildlife.
Thus a very alien world (with quite literally a human subspecies), and a very unique society where a combination of genetic heritage and achivement make up almost an aristocratic status. I'll also say for a series published in the seventies it's remarkably well c haracterized, indeed the character drama is quite shocking in places especially some of the family feuds and how these tie into some rather less than savery practices.