While a hi-end audiophile version of the SB would be nice, I don't think
it's practical for Slim Devices to get into it.  Currently, the audio
quality is already very good and there are many other things to work on
(e.g. SW).

I think mods are the way to go.  Some enterprising and technically
competent person should buy a few SB2's, mess around with them and then
try to develop mod packages.  I'm sure quite a few audiophiles out there
would be willing to have their SB2 modded.

In the end though, it's still PCM and many audiophiles will prefer SACD
and/or analog (vinyl records) for their serious listening.  For me, it's
SACD and I doubt any amount of hardware changes to the SB2 (or any other
CD player, for that matter) will make it sound better than the SACD
sound that I like.

--
Aylwin