Deaf Cat said the following on 09/09/2005 22:55:
Cheers for the explanations, All Clear, except, hope you don't mind
another (maybe daft) question:

So, take 8.75dBu off of 2.12V to end up with 0.7746V (Which is what my
power amp would like-roughly 0.8V-cool)

Correct.

So, if we add 8.75dBu attenuation (it would be safest to round it to
9dBu I suppose) into the Option Box in the Audio settings for the SB2
we should be fine.

8.5 would probably be OK, or even 8.

But how does the 8.75dBu relate to the 0.0 - 63.0dB scale?

0.0 is 0dB attenuation so the output is 8.75dBu.

8.5 is 8.5dB attenuation so the output is 0.25dBu.

63 is 63dB attenuation so the output is -54.25dBu

Oh Boy! Takes alot of brain power to almost understand that taking off
is addin on and 0 is 0.7, quite intresting how logs relate though.

Well, I expect the UI to change - this is something Sean has knocked out quick and there is almost certainly a better way to specify the attenuation. I'm sure he'll come up with something better.

Any suggestions?

BTW, the firmware has just been relased. I've downloaded it and can

report that it's working well.

Is this in the 6.2, 2005-09-09 download?

No, but it's probably in 2005-09-10.

if you're downloading regularly I recommend using svn to get the latest updates.

I'm not sure that the way of setting the attenutation is the most
intuitive of user interfaces, but it does the job.

Your telling me!! Who would have thought it a! Buy a bit of audio
equipment and then starting to want to know about Logarithms!!

Thanks again for the explanations.

Unfortunately, your ears are logarithmic. It's just you didn't know about it before now!

How about just a pop-up list with "quiet", "not so quiet", "loud",

"eleven"? :)

""eleven"" - FAB.....

;)

R.