seanadams Wrote:
> Personally I lean towards optical - if you think timing and signal
> integrity are important in hi-fi, imagine high-capacity
> inter-continental telecom - there's a reason it's all fiber.  :)
>
> Of course coax lends itself to more impressive looking cables, but
> really over short distances both optical and electrical s/pdif work
> fine and show similar performance.

Back in the Early 90s, I was shopping for a DAC (I ended up getting a
CAL Sigma single-tube unit (I think that's what it was - I'd have to
look in storage, since I don't have it in my system currently, but back
then the DACs in consumer cd players were not too great, so getting a
DAC could really improve things a lot)). The sales guy was very
convinced that coax was far superior to toslink.  If there was any
truth in this, it must have been jitter (what else could it be?), but I
never found out what the basis for this opinion was (of course, high-end
stereo sales people tend not to use concrete reasons for good and bad).

--
LavaJoe