seanadams Wrote:
> Further to this... physics gurus feel free to correct me: the flow of
> photos can change instantaneously, whereas electrical signals have to
> fight the inductance/capacitance of the cable.
>
> This means that any timing noise on an optical link comes only from the
> transceiving modules, which according to my own tests meet or exceed the
> performance of electrical links of 1m+.

Sean, it's a matter of bandwidth in either case.  An electrical signal
can only change as fast as the fastest frequency that can travel down
the cable (and this does depend on inductance/capacitance, etc. - but
it's been a long time since I studied this stuff!).

For an optical cable, the fastest the signal can change is the highest
frequency of light that can travel down the fiber, and yeah, light in
the infrared/visible range is *very* high frequency.  Nothing in
physics is "instantaneous" (not even photons) but you can get close!

--
LavaJoe