CardinalFang Wrote:
> I don't think I clained it did suddenly acquire extra data from thin
> air.
OK, sorry, I obviously misinterpreted this statement you made:
> Where I get my reasoning from is derived when you browse CDs in windows
> explorer where the audio is presented as data tracks and therefore
> presumably subject to yellow book methods for data retrieval.

> All I have supposed all along is that because a yellow book drive is
> under computer control it can attempt to read the Red Book data in
> different ways, for example by varying spin speed and repeated attempts
> to read the red book data. And I'm not talking about deliberately
> corrupted disks, just worn and less than perfect new ones.
I have always agreed that ripping using a computer drive is the best
way of getting the data off a damaged disc. You won't find me disputing
this in any of my previous postings in this thread. And you'll also find
that I do agree that hard disk based playback is the future. I do not
have a vested interest in the continued existence of CD players. All I
ever wanted to do was point out a flaw in your speculation, because it
detracts from the basic truth that hard disk based replay *is*
superior.

> When I have discussed random ideas with bright people before on groups
> like this, they usually respond with "no, that doesn't work, but this
> might".
But what you suggested *does* work. It's just that the reason why its a
good idea isn't the main one you gave.

> I also believe that unless we collectively make this the best, most
> reliable audiophile solution for ourselves, it will be eclipsed by
> Apple and others with their variations on networked players. Make no
> mistake, they are coming - I believe strongly that by next summer there
> will be a "iBox".
Now you've really spoiled my day. The prospect of the Apple steamroller
squashing the likes of Slim Devices (like they did to Rio) is just too
depressing to contemplate.

--
cliveb