Heuer Wrote:

> I am currently building a PSU using one of these modules - basically a
> steel box (to minimise RFI), the module bolted inside and mains in, 5V
> cable out.
>
> About the only improvement I can think of is to find a similar unit
> with a toroidal transformer rather than a frame one as this will reduce
> RFI dramatically. As yet I have not found one at a reasonable price.

Toroids don't reduce RFI.  They will actually couple more of it (noise
from the digital circuits in the SB3) back to the power line.  They
also couple more power line noise into the power supply.  Toroids are
used in a lot of audio gear because the flux leakage from the core is
smaller than that of an EI core transformer, which means they are less
likely to induce hum into the circuits surrounding them.

Since the power supply is remote from the SB3, using a toroid would
only get the bad (noise coupling) from the toroid and none of the good
(low stray magnetic fields).  Toroids cost more than EI core
transformers (another reason why they are found in "high-end" audio
gear) mainly because they are harder to wind (and the machines cost
more), so you'll be paying more for poorer performance.

The SB3 marketing info specifically says they have separate linear
reguators for the audio stages.  I have a hard time believing that
using a linear supply is going to have much effect at all, but if
changing power supplies is your thing, have fun.

TD

--
tyler_durden