> > Java does allow you to wrap features up into nice,
> > self contained functional blocks that can be black box tested and
> then
> > left well alone. That's my main gripe with Perl, it isn't a language
> > that enables that kind of unit construction of an app.
>
> Agian, not so.

Sorry, but Perl subroutines to me is a hack. Getting parameters using
shift is horrible, it's like accessing a stack directly. Modules aren't
really encapsulation in my mind, they're a packaging feature. Java class
packages have much stricter checking on their usage when compiling
apps.

Perl is good because it is easy to get going with it, but it also
allows you to be very undisciplined and lazy about coding style and
legibility. Having to turn on "strict" to catch fundemental coding
errors doesn't inspire confidence in me, I'm afraid.

Looks like I disagree with most people on this forum again :-)

--
CardinalFang