DitherMan Wrote:
> In Class AB, the average current through the tube is lower which results
> in lower power consumption and heat and longer tube life.

Mine is an integrated AB push/pull pentode, but I'm sure the above
applies. It runs warm even at 10% volume.

DitherMan Wrote:
> What's attractive is to run the SB3 audio output directly into a power
> amp input and use the SB3 to control volume.

My impression from this thread was to set volume on the SB3 to 40 to
disable all volume control algorithms. I would much rather use the SB
digital volume control if there is no manipulation of the signal, but i
assume the added bits for the volume algorithm are considered 'bad'.
Sorry for being dense, but was the verdict that for FLAC, LESS than
100% volume(40) is better or worse? Would you always want 'more bits',
or would it depend on your DAC? Again, apologies. This is probably
covered elsewhere.

DitherMan Wrote:
> Tube amplifiers normally have higher input impedances so that the

I'm not sure if this means the digital volume is better than the
analog. Does the SB volume go from being active to passive when less
than 40?

I understood your point that an A/B amp is in class A at 100% volume
with low signal input. However, I also don't want to crank the Alps
Blue pot to 100% (if that is the same as "connecting  directly to a
power amp") because of potential speaker damage.

Thanks for your insightful responses :)

--
Skunk