On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 20:43 -0800, nelamvr6 wrote:
> I'm looking to upgrade my system, my budget is about $1,000. My plan is
> to upgrade my speakers this spring, then my amp next spring, followed by
> my CD player the following spring.

As others have said, speakers are so subjective that you really have to
listen to them in your space with your music.

One out of the box suggestion that I think you should consider
is a pair of Mackie 824 monitor speakers. They retail for about
a grand, and are self powered. They sound very good. They are aimed
at the home studio market, and may be too clinical for some tastes.
And since they are small monitors in the classic BBC style/size
they only go down to about 60 Hz flat, but they can do the 41 Hz of
an electric base guitar reasonably well in a good room.

They totally flunk WAF. They are black boxes with no grill at all.
I have never tried to even bring mine up into the living room.
They are nowhere near as nice looking as my main Sonus Fabers.

But in the bang for the buck area, they are worth considering.

The good news is that $1000 is the sweet spot in speaker
pricing. There are lots of good to great sounding
speakers there.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html